A candidate means any person to whom any one or more of the following apply:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR PROSPECTIVE CANDIDATES
- Any person who seeks to qualify for nomination or election by means of the petitioning process;
- Any person who seeks to qualify for election as a write-in candidate;
- Any person who receives contributions or makes expenditures, or gives his or her consent for any other person to receive contributions or make expenditures, with a view to bringing about his or her nomination or election to, or retention in, public office;
- Any person who appoints a campaign treasurer and designates a primary depository; or
- Any person who files qualification papers and subscribes to a candidate’s oath as required by law.
The City of St. Augustine, City of St. Augustine Beach, and Town of Hastings have special candidate qualifying requirements set forth in their City Charters. Contact the Elections Office for more information.
Resign-to-Run (Section 99.012(3), F.S.)
No officer may qualify as a candidate for another state, district, county, or municipal public office if the terms or any part thereof run concurrently with each other, without resigning from the office he or she presently holds. The resignation is irrevocable.
The written resignation must be submitted at least ten days prior to the first day of qualifying for the office. The resignation must be effective no later than the earlier of the following dates:
1. The date the officer would take office, if elected; or
2. The date the officer’s successor is required to take office.
No person may qualify as a candidate for more than one public office, whether state, district, county, or municipal, if the terms or any part thereof run concurrently with each other, without resigning from the office he or she presently holds. The resignation is irrevocable.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON RESIGN TO RUN